The Kenya Japan Alumni Association (KEJAA), was officially launched on November 26, 2010 at the Japanese Ambassador’s residence in Nairobi. KEJAA is an umbrella organization bringing together all alumni organizations. They are The Association for Overseas Technical Scholarship (AOTS), JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency) Ex Participants Alumni of KENYA (JEPAK), Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) and Ship of the World Youth (SWY).
The meeting was chaired by Mr. Samwel Kiiru, the Chairman of KEJAA.
In prelude to the launching, twenty executive members from alumni organizations got together at the Embassy.
The representatives of each alumni organization introduced each alumni’s activities and then exchanged ideas for the way forward at the subsequent plenary. The ideas presented were as folows:
- Appointment of a secretary who will disseminate information to the members on KEJAA's activities.
- Updating database of the members. The ideas of using mobile phones or setting up a blog were also presented.
- Publication of brochure or newsletter.
- Holding activities such as conference, cultural day, exhibition, sports event including football match with local Japanese, seminar on Japan at secondary schools, tree planting, community services for street kids, socialization among members including the end of the year meeting.
- Increasing contacts and exchanges between KEJAA and each alumni, between KEJAA and the Japanese community in Nairobi.
In closing, the Chairman summed up the following:
- The appointment of secretariate including a JICC staff.
- The first major activity will be held in March, 2011.
A scene of the afternoon plenary session
Mr. Yamada, Minister of Embassy, delivering speech