Grant Assistance for Grassroots Human Security Projects 2013/2014: Ground Breaking Ceremony of The Project for the Expansion of Mbungoni Comprehensive Care Clinic
||Ground Breaking Ceremony of The Project for the Expansion of Mbungoni Comprehensive Care Clinic
||14th May, 2014
||Mbungoni Location, Kisauni Division, Mombasa County
||The Project for the Expansion of Mbungoni Comprehensive Care Clinic
||US$121,854 (Approx. Kshs 10.1 million)
- Mr. Mikio Mori – The Deputy Ambassador of Japan to the Republic of Kenya
- H.E. Hassan Ali Joho - Mombasa County Governor
- Hon. Aggrey Awiti – Member of National Assembly (Nyali)
- Hon. Tom Anjere – Deputy County Commissioner
- Ms. Binti Omar – Executive Secretary for Health
- Mr. Muhammad Ndanda - Member of County Assembly (Kazandani)
- Fr. Wily band Lagho – Representative of His Lordship Bishop Emmanuel Barbara
- Sr. Monica Mukui – Representative of Cristian Health Association of Kenya (CHAK,CHAP)
- Representatives of County Assembly
- Officials from Local Government
- The management and staff of Mbungoni Catholic Dispensary
- The community members of Mbungoni
Total of about 600 participants
||The Ground Breaking Ceremony of the Project for the Expansion of Mbungoni Comprehensive Care Clinicwhich had its Grant Contract signed in February 2014, was held in Mombasa County and witnessed by among others, officials from the Embassy of Japan in Kenya.
The Grant Contract availed funds to be used in putting up facilities that would improve the health of the community members. These included construction of two story Comprehensive Care Clinic inclusive of Maternity ward and installation of a Hematology Analyzer from Nihon Koden, one of the top medical equipment companies in Japan that provides accurate, high-Speed, large capacity and security of testing blood.
The dispensary has been very useful in the fight against the spread of HIV/AIDS within the community for many years. It was however challenging for the dispensary to provide proper medical services in its humble three iron cargo containers and under the scorching heat of Mombasa. Having a comprehensive care clinic inclusive of maternity ward has been a longstanding desire of the people of Mbungoni for safe childbirth.
The ground breaking ceremony which included planting of trees had performances by the local community. There were also speeches from officials including H.E. Hassan Ali Joho who expressed gratitude to the Government and people of Japan for the support and long term partnership with Kenya and for the promising comprehensive health care project.
While giving his remarks, The Deputy Ambassador of Japan, Mr. Mikio Mori congratulated the Mbungoni Catholic Dispensary for initiating the project. He encouraged the representatives to work together in the spirit of Harambee to successfully complete the project in order to improve the conditions of maternity and child health care and also to provide excellent services for the general wellbeing of the people of the entire community.
At the end of his remarks, Mr. Mori mentioned the long history of partnership between Mombasa and Japan and the continuing assistance for further development of Mombasa.