Grant Assistance for Grass-roots Human Security Projects 2009/2010: Japan Grassroot Grant Aid Aims to Alleviate Water Shortage Problems in Wasini Island, Coast Province
||Japan Grassroot Grant Aid Aims to Alleviate Water Shortage Problems in Wasini Island, Coast Province
||24th March 2010
||Shimoni, Msambweni District, Coast
||The Project for Providing Water Supply in Wasini Island
- Mr. Seiji Okada, Deputy Chief of Mission to the Republic of Kenya
- Representative from Wasini Women Group
- Hon. Omar M. Zonga, M.P.
- District Commissioner and officers
- Representative from the Kenya Wildlife Services
- Representative from Mafanikio
- Others: about 100 people including residents and students
||Mr. Seiji Okada, Deputy chief of Mission to the Republic of Kenya and Ms. Mwarab Mohamed, Vice Chairperson of Wasini Women Group, signed the Grant Contract amounted to 90,555 US Dollars for the project for providing water supply to Wasini Island through Grant Assistance for Grassroot Human Security Program (GGP).
The project aims to provide a comprehensive solution to long-lasting water shortage problems in three villages of Wasini Island, namely Wasini, Mkwiro, and Nyma ya Maji where rain water is the main source of water.
||The Project entailed the following activities:
The major objective of this project is to alleviate the water problems that the residents of Wasini Island are facing.
- Construction of Water Storage Tank and Solar Water Pumping System in Wasini Village
- Construction of Water Storage Tank in Nyuma ya Maji Village
- Purchase of Solar Water Pump and Construction of Pump House in Mkwiro Village